Saturday, March 30, 2013

Church body concerned over Section 21 of RTE Act

Church body concerned over Section 21 of RTE Act


By Our Reporter
 SHILLONG: The Meghalaya Church Leaders Co-Ordination Committee on Education (MCLCCoE) has been pursuing with the State Education department to remove some grave anomalies arising from Section 21 of the Right to Education Act, 2009.
A sore point is about the constitution of the School Managing Committee (SMC).
As per the Act, the 75 % of the strength of SMC will consist of parents or guardians of students and the remaining 25% is to be filled up with one-third members from among the elected members of the local authority, to be decided by the local authority and the other one third members are to be from among teachers of the school while the remaining one third will be from among the local educationists or children in the school, to be decided by the parents in the Committee. The MCLCCoE feels that the Managing Committee cannot get out of the control of minority institutions which actually invest major resources in setting up of education institutions.
It feels that while the Deputy Chief Minister in charge of Education, Dr RC Laloo has given the assurance on the floor of the House in the recently concluded Assembly session that the anomalies would be rectified, they are awaiting a meeting with the Chief Minister for a dialogue with him.
The MCLCCoE includes all Christian Institutions including Unitarian Church in Meghalaya.

No comments:

Post a Comment