Saturday, March 23, 2013

Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan initiative makes kids school-ready

Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan initiative makes kids school-ready

TNN Jul 4, 2012, 06.25AM IST

MANGALORE: Eight-year-old Lakshmi never went to school because she had been working as a domestic help after the death of her parents a few years ago. Now, thanks to the initiative of Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA), she will get to go to school, learn and make friends.
Lakshmi is one of the 54 children who will be groomed in the SSA's Chinnara Thangudana, a transit school, which was formally inaugurated at the Government Higher Primary School, Kapikad in Bejai here on Tuesday. The short stay school will ready school dropouts, beggars, drug addicts, child labourers, poor and destitute children for regular schools through bridge courses.

"I always wanted to study and I used to feel sad when I see children of my age go to school. Chinnara Thangudana made my dream come true. Here, I came to know about the importance of discipline in life. I learnt to dance and sing," said Lakshmi who wants to become a doctor one day.
For nine-year-old Prashanth attending the transit school is a turning point in his life. Hailing from a poor family he was forced to dropout of school. "I never brushed my teeth and washed hands before taking food. I learned the basics of personal cleanliness in Chinnara Thangudana. Now I can go to school. It would not have been possible for me to enjoy these facilities, if I were in my house," he said.
SSA assistant project coordinator K Geetha said that Prajna Counselling Centre in association with Federation of Education Resource Centres and Valored, had identified 75 children, who are out of school for various reasons in Mangalore city through a survey. "From them 54 will be groomed in the short stay school. We will provide them with food, shelter, healthcare and primary education and prepare them to attend regular schools. They will be admitted to the residential school of SSA in Belthangady after the course," she added.
The centre will have two teachers, a counsellor, a caretaker, a cook and field staff who will be guided by a coordinator.
Prajna Counselling Centre has been entrusted the responsibility of running the school.

No comments:

Post a Comment