Friday, January 24, 2014

Admissions for 25% RTE seats to be held in June

Admissions for 25% RTE seats to be held in June

Swati Shinde Gole, TNN Nov 19, 2013, 07.07AM IST

PUNE: The admission process to fill 25% seats reserved for students from economically backward families under the Right to Free and Compulsory Education (RTE) Act is set for another change from the 2014-15 academic year. The admissions will now begin from June when schools reopen for the new academic year and no common admission schedule will be announced, as was the practice last year. The admission system will go online and be centralised to ensure every applicant gets admission.
In December 2012, the state directorate of primary education had announced a common state-wide schedule for all schools to conduct admissions to fill the 25% seats reserved under RTE.
As per the schedule, the process began in January with issuance of forms and went on till June, making ita six-month process. The education department felt it was unnecessary trouble for parents to run around for their child's admission six months before the new academic year started.
"We felt that there was no need for the schedule, especially one starting in the month of January. We experimented with it, but from the next (2014-15) admission period, the practice will be scrapped," said Mahavir Mane, director of the state education department.
Mane admitted that since the admission process has not been smooth in the past two years, there will be an effort to streamline it. "We have proposed to the state government to make the admissions online in a centralised process. The project proposal was submitted about two months ago and we are waiting for the green signal to implement it in the next academic year."
As per this process, schools are required to submit an estimate of the number of available seats under 25% reservation to the state government. After the students submit the forms, seats will be allotted in a similar manner as that of junior college admissions. In this process, the admission committee of the state government will allot schools to students, based on the proximity of schools to their residence.
"Schools reopen in the month of June, and this entire process will begin just a fortnight before the reopening. We will make sure that every child who has applied under this scheme will get admission," Mane said.
The entire project of taking the admissions process online and centralizing it will cost around Rs 25 lakh to Rs 30 lakh, Mane said. The directorate of primary education has also proposed a collaboration with the United Nations Children's Fund ( Unicef)
for this project as it will help to bring in professionalism. In 2013, about 50% seats were filled under this scheme in Pune district.

No comments:

Post a Comment