Forty three students of a school at Aska in Ganjam district became ill after consuming Mid-Day Meal (MDM) on Saturday.
The students of the ‘Tile Factory Upper Primary School’ near Aska consumed the mid-day meal. Six of them, who were serious, were shifted to MKCG medical college and hospital in Berhampur. The rest ailing students were provided medical help at Aska hospital.
Speaking to The Hindu , Ganjam District Education Officer (DEO) Santosh Kumar Patra said the 37 students who had been admitted in Aska hospital have been discharged as they were out of danger.
According to the DEO, the MDM to this school was being supplied by a Women Self Help Group (WSHG) of Aska. On Saturday this WSHG had provided rice and a curry of soybean chunks.
After consuming the food 43 students of classes I to VII developed stomach pain. Some of them also started to vomit.
Immediately the authorities of the school informed about it to the administration and the students were shifted to Aska hospital.
The DEO rushed to spot to investigate. According to him investigation is on to ascertain the reason behind the symptoms of food poisoning developed by the students of the school.
It may be noted that it is the fourth incident related to quality of MDM in Ganjam district in recent months.
A dead house lizard was found in the Mid-Day Meal (MDM) supplied to Regidi upper primary school at Hinjli, the home constituency of the Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik in Ganjam district on Aug 2. On July 26 a worm had been found in the dal of the MDm provided at the same school. But no student had taken the MDM at this school on both these days. On July 22 distribution of MDM had been stopped in Tamaya Tank primary school in Berhampur, when a large worm was found in the food, while it was being served.
On March 6, over 50 children of a primary school at Gothagaon village of Shergarh block had become ill after consumption of MDM provided in that school from the Naandi Foundation kitchen. But in all these cases the MDM had been supplied by the centralized kitchen of the Naandi foundation in Berhampur. But the food due to which students became ill at Aska had been prepared by a WSHG.
Investigation is on to ascertain the reason behind the symptoms of food poisoning, says DEO